Small Hands in the Big World

Friday, December 23, 2011

Accessories Fit for a Fairy Princess


Discouraged by high prices for cheaply made princess paraphernalia and the insanely long line at the toy store, I decided to make some last minute handmade Christmas gifts for my girl. I’m no seamstress but I do have plenty of sparkly craft supplies on hand and I know how to wield a glue gun!


Crown
Digging in my various craft boxes, I was able to find supplies for a flower crown with flowing ribbons. Using two chenille pipe cleaners as a base, I connected them to one another, tied a long ribbon to one end (having previously measured it to leave long strips of ribbon at each end)then wrapped it around and around until it came to the other end at which I made another tie. Next came a string of pearl beads and I used the same technique, tying it at one end, wrapping it around and around then tying it off at the end. That actually looked pretty good but the perfect finishing touch was 5 little red ribbon roses. I glue-gunned those on and also used spots of glue to better secure the pearls. I will wait until Christmas morning to fit it perfectly to her head but it should be as easy as twisting ends together to make a custom Princess headpiece!

Shoes
Do you have shoes in your closet that your kids always play with but you never wear? For me, it’s a few “clip clop shoes” with low heels that my kids love to thump thump thump around in. I’ve always worried that if I bought my daughter some of those little slightly high-heeled dress-up princess shoes, she’d want to wear them all the time. However, if my ridiculously-too-large-for-her clip clop shoes are her dress up shoes, it’s likely that she’ll only wear them for dress up… at least that’s what I’m hoping. I glue gunned on some faceted acrylic jewels and used glitter glue to make some one-of-a-kind fancy shoes.

Magic Wand
Glue-gunned onto a broken old wand, one of my handmade paper stars became a perfect topper for a elaborate new wand. Final touches included more strategically placed “jewels” and glitter glue.

Follow up note: Click here to see how it all turned out!
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea - J has so many little girl friends and they all love fairies and princesses I will have to get making some for them.

    Thank you for linking to Made with Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely adorable, what a good idea!
    Say hi to yr little girl, we love fairies also very muc
    Love from 'Made with Love' Angelique

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there. I discovered your web site by way of Google at the same time as looking for a similar topic, your web site got here up. It appears to be great. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks to visit then.
    slipper faisalabad

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...